Most people enjoy human touch. A touch can convey comfort, love, awareness.
The benefits of Pregnancy Massage
Recent medical journals have published positive results from massage therapy during pregnancy.
- Reduced anxiety and improved mood
- Better sleep
- Less back pain
- Reduced norepinephrine levels (stress hormones)
- Fewer complications in labour
In addition, one of the most exciting findings shows that women massaged during pregnancy had babies with fewer post-natal complications and a lower rate of prematurity.
WHAT IS PREGNANCY MASSAGE?
Pregnancy massage shares many of the goals of regular massage — to relax tense muscles, ease sore spots, improve circulation and mobility, and to encourage a sense of wellbeing and total relaxation. Our fully qualified Pregnancy Massage therapists are trained to adjust their techniques according to the individual needs of each woman and their changing bodies.
WHAT CAN IT TREAT?
Pregnancy massage can treat many conditions, particularly the ones caused by stress and muscular tension. Stress and tension can cause many more physical complaints than we realise so a regular massage during pregnancy can bring enormous relief to a variety of conditions
- Relief from muscle cramps, spasms, and myofascial pain, especially in the lower back, neck, hips, and legs.
- Increase in blood and lymph circulation, which can reduce swelling.
- Reduces stress on weight-bearing joints.
- Improves outcome of labor and eases labor pain.
- Enhances the pliability of skin and underlying tissues, reducing the appearance of stretch marks
- Provides support for the new mother with physical and emotional strains of mothering.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING A MASSAGE?
A pregnancy massage differs from traditional massage in a few ways. First, the massage therapist will take extra care to make sure your body gets the cushioning and support it needs.
When you’re lying on your back in the earlier stages of your pregnancy, there will be pillows underneath your knees and shoulders. If you’re far along in your pregnancy you will be in a semi-reclining position, or on your side.
A pregnancy massage will be very soothing and relaxing in style.