Reflexology – so much more than a foot massage!
Author: Aileen Scanlon
2nd May 2014
Reflexology works on the principle that the feet mirror the whole body and when pressure is applied to reflex points on the feet there is a healing reaction in the corresponding part of the body.
For example the big toe is where the head reflexes are located, so if you suffer with headaches the big toe is an area your reflexologist will work on.
This surge of interest in alternative therapies across the globe is thanks to a shift in our mindsets towards health and wellbeing. People are taking a proactive role in their wellness and are recognising the benefits of an integrative approach to health care, which focuses on the whole person - body, mind and spirit.
But why is reflexology so popular?
• It is ridiculously relaxing for one; you may even find it hard to keep those eyes open during a session!
• Reflexology is a very powerful therapy, a treatment is carried out on your feet but benefits are felt by the entire body.
• It is an extremely effective way to activate the parasympathetic nervous system. This important system also known as the rest and digest system stimulates the digestive and immune systems in your body, calms the mind, lifts your mood and helps the body rest and repair.
• A treatment is carried out fully clothed (bar your socks) for those self conscious Annie’s amongst us!
• It is a great way to boost your fertility naturally. Reflexology activates our body’s natural healing abilities, which strengthens our immune system and calms the body and the mind. All this helps create a healthier environment for pregnancy to occur.
• Reflexology is very effective for mother and baby during pregnancy and maternity reflexology is recommended by Holles Street Hospital, Dublin
So go on....give your feet a treat your body will thank you for!
Aileen Scanlon is a holistic therapist. She runs Willow Lane Holistic from the Dublin Holistic
Centre, at 28 South William Street, Dublin 2. Aileen specialises in Maternity and Fertility
Publication of Article on TV3's Wednesday Wellness